Tuesday, June 10, 2008

We're Engaged!!!




Yesterday morning, I sent Erin a text to see what she was doing that evening. She said that she wasn't doing anything so I told her not to make any plans and to be ready to go by 6:30. She asked where and I told her I'd tell her when I figure it out. Throughout the day, she texted me asking me all kinds of questions and I told her that she should wear jeans, comfortable shoes, and a jacket or sweatshirt. She started to become suspicious so i told her that as a late birthday present I had prepared a little evening excursion.I went to her house to pick her up after work and changed into my jeans, then we left. I drove her about 30 miles north to Torrey Pines. When we got there I got a backpack out of my trunk and she asked what was in the backpack. I reached in the main compartment and pulled out 2 water bottles and said that I brought water for us. I also pulled out a camera and said that it was for taking pictures of the sunset (but the sun did not join us, it was all cloudy). She then asked me what was in the other pocket so i opened it and showed her it was empty. There was one more pocket. She asked me what was in the small coin pocket on the outside. I opened it and showed her that all I had was a USB Flash drive for my computer. She then was kinda giggly and asked me if I was planning on asking her any questions while we were up there. I thought about it for a second and acted suprised and said, "Did you think I was gonna propose?" She said yes and I apologized. I have told her in the past that I would propose when she least expects it. I told her that she was expecting it too much and that whenever I proposed it would be right away and come out of nowhere. She immediately got a sad look on her face. So we took a little walk and I took her to a bench that was on top of a cliff, overlooking the ocean. This was the same place and same bench that was one of the first places that she ever took me when we first started going out.We sat there on the bench for a while, watching the ocean and some surfers. After a while, I said that I was hungry. She said "okay, we can leave now." But i told her that I brought food. I reached into the main pocket of my backpack and pulled out a present. It was a box with shiny silver wrapping paper and stars on it. I told her to open it up so I could eat it. She got confused and started opening the present. It was a box of Cheez-Its. Erin and cheez-its go way back. She even had one of her senior high school pictures taken with a box of cheez-its. The top of the box was taped shut and I told her that I was hungry and ate a few already. She totally fell for it and believed me. She opened the box and just inside of it was a silver jewelry gift box from Nordstrom with a silver bow on top. I said "oh, what's that" and I grabbed it and put it on the bench on the other side of me. I then reached into the box of cheez-its and pulled out a few cheez-its. I gave a couple to her and I ate a few myself. Then I picked up the box and she asked what it was. At this point she wasn't even thinking that it could be a ring. She said afterwards that she thought that I had bought her a nice bracelet. I then scooted off of the bench and got on one knee right in front of her. She said, "no. Brian, what are you doing?" She was still in disbelief. I said to her, "This is where we started our relationship, so this is where I figured that we should take our relationship to the next level." I started to take the ribbon off of the box. She said again, "Brian, oh my gosh, what are you doing?" I then opened up the box and pulled a smaller box out of it. She put her hands up over her face and a few tears started to come out. As she started crying, I forgot what I was saying and I got really shakey. So I opened the box to show her the ring and I said, "Erin, I would be honored if you would be my wife." That's when she lost it. She started bawling. This went on for a couple of minutes until I asked her, "so is that a yes?" Of course it was, so I got off my knee and she stood up and I put the ring on her finger. She pinched herself about 5 times and I pinched her a couple times to to prove that she wasn't dreaming. Then she said, "Oh my gosh, I have so many people to call!" She only got to call a couple people and her phone battery died, but all in all, everything turned out perfect.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww.....I'm tearing up just reading the story.

Beckys blog said...

Yeah! So, when do we get to know an actual date other then "August 09"?

Anonymous said...

What a cute story.... so romantic! We are all excited for you and Erin. Mom

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you Bernie...Congratulations man!

Nagrom Nniuq said...

Nice work man.

Anonymous said...

O.M.G, i can't stop crying:)Congrats!!!! p.s Amazing story